Forums Herb-Talk | Archive Botanical Medicine Herbal Medicine Making Making herbal formulas

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

How do i calculate a herbal formula by grams if i do 100 grams of herb with herbs shown in percentages. For example a herbal formula containing 7 herbs in percentages

20%

20%

20%

10%

10%

10%

10%

Just multiply the number of grams of the final product you want by the percentage as a decimal.

20% of 100 grams is .2 X 100 or 20 grams. Same math can be used for any volume desired.

When i weigh the herbs on a scale in a quart jar i add 20 grams then tare add another 20 then continue this process until i have 100 grams?.

That would be the safest way.

Annett
      Student

In some of the formulas that Doc makes there are two or more plants that do the same thing. Would someone please explain the rational behind this? For instance in a wound poultice he uses flax and marshmallow as a demulcent. Do they work differently on a wound? (I know flax draws but there are other herbs in the formula that do that too. And marshmallow is a vulnerary but there are other herbs in the formula that do that too.) So why double up?

Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

annett wrote: In some of the formulas that Doc makes there are two or more plants that do the same thing. Would someone please explain the rational behind this? For instance in a wound poultice he uses flax and marshmallow as a demulcent. Do they work differently on a wound? (I know flax draws but there are other herbs in the formula that do that too. And marshmallow is a vulnerary but there are other herbs in the formula that do that too.) So why double up?

The demulcent property of the flax is just an added bonus, the main reason it’s in the poultice is for its drawing power.

I often use multiple herbs in a formula that have similar effects. It gives the body more options and the plants often accomplish the same thing in very different ways. For example, yarrow and shepherd’s purse both stop bleediing but yarrow is a vasoconstrictor and shepherd’s purse enhances coagulation.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Annett
          Student

Got it. Thank you Doc!!

Barbara Mills
            Student

I have a question…I have just done lesson 2 of the making medicine and my question is…you have said that the dosage of herbal medicine is about 1 tsp…let’s say, for Lesson 2…what would be the weekly dosage be? 1 tsp for how many days or weekly.

I may have more after I do more, but this is my first one. Thank you in advance.

B

Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

Babs wrote: I have a question…I have just done lesson 2 of the making medicine and my question is…you have said that the dosage of herbal medicine is about 1 tsp…let’s say, for Lesson 2…what would be the weekly dosage be? 1 tsp for how many days or weekly.

I may have more after I do more, but this is my first one. Thank you in advance.

B

For most herbs I go twice a day. Duration depends on the condition. For an illness, do it until you’ve felt better for a few days.

For a chronic condition, you may take it for a long time.

I recommend folks on long-term herb therapy take off one day a week.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Viewing 8 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Herbal Medicine Making’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            Scroll to Top