Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Making tinctures in the sun or shade?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Diane Gramley
      Student

Before finding the Homegrown Herbalist School I had purchased a book that said to place tinctures you are making in the sun for two weeks.  I have made quite a few tinctures using this method.  Are they any good or did the sun destroy their potency?

Lisa Bateman
        Student

Following

Lisa Bateman

Greg Boggs
          Student

I have heard of this, but I would just experiment and see if it works. If you’ve already made it, then I would just start using them and see if you notice anything happen from them

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Diane Gramley
              Student
              Topic Author

I’ve been using them, but haven’t really seen anything happening.  I’ll continue using them, but the ones I make in the future will not be exposed to the sun!

I’ll continue using them, but the ones I make in the future will not be exposed to the sun!

I think this is a good plan. I keep mine out of the sun. I even put them in a cabinet or in amber-colored bottles, because I think that’s best. But I don’t think it will hurt you to use what you’ve already made – they may just not be as potent.

Sharon
              Student

All I know is that Doc says that the sun “destroys” the herbs!  Not exactly sure to what level of destruction he means, but I also keep mine in a dark cabinet in a room that is pretty dark most of the time.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Scroll to Top