Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      eturnbow
      Student

How would one treat mastitis in goats? Not sure how to keep a cabbage leaf on their tits…so any suggestions are helpful.

Any preventative measures to keep them from getting it?

Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

Get a bacterial culture on the milk by your vet and tell me what the bug is and I’ll tell you exactly what to do. Different critters require different approaches and management strategies.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          Sydney Alix
          Student

My family has been raising/working with dairy goats for several years now, and something that we’ve done to prevent mastitis is to clean the goat’s udders with a homemade natural udder wash prior to each milking. It is made out of warm water (about 1 qt), apple cider vinegar (maybe 1/4 cup), and 3-4 drops of tea tree oil. We learned about this wash at a small goat dairy that we interned at several years ago, and have been using it ever since on our girls. We’ve never had a case of mastitis, and the girl’s udders have all stayed in very healthy condition.

4 users thanked author for this post.
              Jo Katsarelis
              Student

New to goats!  My Nigerian dwarf girls are only 4 months old but never hurts to learn things ahead of time.

Wondering what you keep the solution in and how long does it keep?

Thank you for sharing

Sydney Alix
                  Student

We make a batch of it every day before we go out to milk. It would probably keep at room temp for 24 hours, but I still prefer to just make it when I need it. Thankfully, it’s a pretty quick and easy to make!

I put it in a small bucket (or even a large container) and cover it with a lid to keep it warm and protected from debris. The size of the container depends on how many goats I’ll be milking and the number of rags I’d need to clean them.

Amy Andrews
                Student

I raise Havanese puppies and have had a case or two of mastitis in one of the dams. Each time a nice massage of comfrey oil did the trick very quickly. It may be helpful for goats as well.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Scroll to Top