• This topic has 8 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by .
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Jody Britt
      Student

Imagine my great surprise & happiness to find mullein growing on a property I recently purchased. I have also found a few other plants that I was able to identify.  I now want to learn which parts to harvest for the best results.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Awesome!   Congrats!  Years ago…My mother lived in Nebraska on a large farm.  I went on a four wheeler with one of the relatives and asked what is that, “Mullein” he said, “it’s a terrible weed we are always trying to get rid of”  later when talking to them during the big toilet paper shortage of 2020, her husband said “it makes great toilet paper!” Haha.  Later I wished I had asked her to send me some seed.

There is  one spot on our property that new plants pop up for no apparent reason.  I have found thorny apple one year and mullein another and cucamellon a different year.  Now I go out to that spot looking for God’s delivery each year like an Amazon package.

Congrats again!

Greg Boggs
        Student

You’ll want to harvest the leaves from the first year plant, the roots at the end of the first year or beginning of second year, or the flowers from the second year. People say the flower is a lot stronger than the leaf, but I’m not that patient haha. The leaf has worked great for me

Heather Clark
          Student

once I knew what to look for,  I too have found that I have Mullen, Yarrow, chickweed, goldenrod(which i love the smell and flavor of) all over my 2 acres. I have got little fences all over the place so my husband won’t mow them over. I picked all the little leaves and used them for his cold. but he hated the smell and taste. I found out that picking the flowers is a pain and not my favorite thing to, it takes a lot of them and you can only pick a few at a time.

Now I go out to that spot looking for God’s delivery each year like an Amazon package.

I love that!

Lisa Clements
            Student

Hi Jody, I am a new student and I am commenting for the first time.  I like mullein. I always saw them on the side of the road or in fields that are not mine. Finally I got one to grow in my garden! It took 2 years, the first year it was small and leafy then the second year it got the stock. I carefully pick the flowers each day and let them dry.  Last summer I had 4 growing and collected the flowers and freeze dried them.  I have been using them in tea when I get a cough.  I am planning to learn more about how to use them, what time of day is best to pick the flowers and other great things from this Home Grown Herbal School.  I am excited. Thank you for your post.

I have used mullien leaves dried in teas and to make a tincture that we’ve used on humans and animals to help treat coughing. We also have family members who call it a noxious weed, but we’re winning them over slowly;-) Best wishes with your mullien!

Robin Todd
              Student

Hi I’m a new student, Mullein is one of plants that I have worked with. I like to sometimes just eat the flowers.

Gail Marlatt
                Student

I hope I am lucky enough to find some Mullein growing on our property.  Just need Spring to finally show up.

Viewing 8 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Scroll to Top