• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by .
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Lori Merritt
      Student

My husband  had a heart attack back in 2008. He has had a variety of other stuff since then, stroke, cancer, etc. He is active, learning to live and thrive in his current condition. We have felt for the past couple of years that he needed to be off most of his pharmaceuticals. This has turned out to be a blessing in our lives. He has really never taken statins, mostly because his cholesterol numbers are exceptional. His heart doctor would like him to take statins, but we have controlled things through diet for many years. Is there any studies about statins in the herbal world? We are wondering if there are herbs that could do a similar thing.

1 user thanked author for this post.

I too am here to help my husband and MIL (who lives with us) stay off their statins. So far, we’ve been successful with adding more beets, leafy greens, and Hawthorn.

V LaMaster

3 users thanked author for this post.
        Lori Merritt
        Student
        Topic Author

I have been studying the heart herbs and I make Tim a concoction he takes twice a day.

Hawthorn to decrease angina pain. Gingko to help open blood vessels. I am hoping it will help with his brain also. I include Linden to inhibit atherosclerosis and Alfalfa to help cholesterol from sticking to the artery wall.  He also likes to snack on alfalfa sprouts, which can only help. We round out his concoction with cayenne, just because.

Tim’s doctor says that the statins are supposed to make cholesterol more like a gel and then they won’t stick to the artery wall. We just prefer to work with herbs instead of relying on pharma and all their side effects, as much as we can.

Annette Lange
          Student

I noticed there is a cholesterol formula recipe in the “Formulas and Formulations” module under “Blood/Heart/Circulatory”.  It has 2 alfalfa aerial parts, 2 garlic root, 2 ginger root, 2 milk thistle seed, 1 hawthorne berry or flowers, 1 linden flower.  It says it is a formula to decrease serum cholesterol.

Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

Yup. The rascals in the cholesterol formula are good ‘uns.

Turmeric, cinnamon, and fenugreek are good too. I’m updating/re-writing the cardiovascular lesson right now. I’ll be talking about that there.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Carol Atkins
              Student

Is the Cholesterol Formula (capsules) safe for people with hypothyroidism? The lesson on milk thistle stated that if someone has hypothyroidism that they should not take milk thistle.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                  Homestead Instructor

I wouldn’t do long-term high levels of milk thistle in a case of low thyroid. The good news is that there are lots of other great herbs that will lower cholesterol. Raw or dried garlic is quite good. Do a search for “Cholesterol” in the advanced search function and you’ll find lots of good info.

Search Tools

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Teresa Klepac
                  Student

Thank-you for this question!  My husband had a heart attack last year and we refuse to put him on a statin drug.  I will be researching the cholesterol formula that Doc Jones has in the store.

We use coriander and lemongrass in essential oil form  have been great for  cholesterol here.

Michele Miller

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Scroll to Top