Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Need help asap please?

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by .
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon
      Student

Hi guys and gals.  I have been tincturing today, and have a situation that I need to take care of by tomorrow at the latest.  I had 7.25 grams of Skullcap, and added my 1:5 of vodka – 35 ml – HA HA HA!  Well, it’s now at 7.25g:75ml and it is just barely under the liquid – no shaking or sloshing room.  So I’m thinking that since I didn’t really want it to be weaker than a 1:10 ratio, I have a bottle of Doc’s skullcap tincture (4 oz).  I thought I could use that as my extra alcohol without making anything weaker – in fact, I think (could be wrong), that all of it would be stronger than if I kept adding hooch.  Thoughts?  I don’t want to leave it as is long enough to spoil my piddly little bit of skullcap I got this last summer from my first year plant (what the rabbits didn’t get that is).  Thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Sharon
        Student
        Topic Author

Update: I went ahead and poured 4 ounces of Doc’s Skullcap tincture over my incredibly thirsty herbs.  Hopefully his was stronger than mine to start with so that the finished product will be decently strong.  I have no idea how to tell if it’s strong enough or not though (when it’s done).

Tim Majors
            Student

I’m thinking fine.  Do the best with what you have and know.  Perhaps a glass fermentation disc would have kept it submerged until you could add more alcohol? I forage for smooth flat stones as I’m out wildcrafting for ferments/other uses…

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Sharon
            Student
            Topic Author

I think that since it required so much hooch, I will take that liquid when I strain it off, and add it back to another batch of herbs to make it stronger.  Theoretically, it should reduce the ratio by about 1/2 if using the same amount of herbs the second time.  What do you guys think?

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Scroll to Top