Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

What are the best places to get herbs from? I have a small yard and can’t grow all the herbs I want to use. I remember Dr Jones mentioned strictly medicinal seeds, but where is everyone getting plant material to use now?

Michelle Koch
      Student

Hi there.  I’m in a similar boat.  Previously, I had a little garden, but I didn’t have “everything.”  At the time, I lived in a very rural area, close to public lands where I would drive out and harvest what I needed (I didn’t/don’t have a business, so I only took what I needed for myself).  Now, I live in an urban high rise apartment, and I don’t have a garden at all.  I have been finding a few sources in my neighborhood, mostly trees, as they are high up off the ground and less likely to be polluted.  My neighborhood is also part of a habitat restoration area, so the city doesn’t spray or treat the common areas and green spaces, for the protection of native species in the area.  I have also put out some requests on my neighborhood forum, asking neighbors if they would mind sharing.  (My request for rosemary was abundantly answered, my request for “noxious weeds” was ignored completely, lol).  What I can’t harvest in my neighborhood or from the grocery store I order from places like the HGH shop, Mountain Rose Herbalist, and Oregon’s Wild Harvest.  Oh, and one other source I’ve used:  My mother lives in an area where the plants I’m most familiar with are either native, or have been nativized or are just very popular, so I’ve sent her out on a few “errands” for me, lol.  She has even sweet talked her neighbors into letting her harvest some of their garden plants!  She dries them thoroughly, then sends them to me.  So if you have a mom that is still able-bodied and wants to learn about herbs, that’s helpful too.  I also follow a couple of foraging groups on Facebook, one of which is specific to my region.  The founder of that particular group will sometimes create a post, inviting community members to join him on a hike in one of our parks/recreation areas.  I have yet to take him up on one of those invitations, but I’m thinking perhaps the next time I will join him.  (He mostly hunts for mushrooms, but I’d like to learn more about that too.)  Sometimes on those foraging groups, people might be willing to sell or trade bundles from their own gardens – most of the folks on the foraging groups are homesteaders, so they mostly only forage on their own land.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

We have some single herb powders and tinctures on the website. Mountain Rose Herbs is a good source for folks too. If you want live seed or live plants, strictlymedicinalseeds.com or companionplants.com

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

3 users thanked author for this post.
            Donna Zentmyer
            Student
            Topic Author

Is there a discount code we can use to order herbs from you?

Andra Beehler
            Student

Azure Standard is currently offering plant starts, including a few medicinal herbs. It is a co-op that is free to join.

3 users thanked author for this post.
          Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Scroll to Top