Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Pine Needles (tree leaves)

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      DebBee
      Student

It seems so weird to think I can go outside and pick the pine needles off the tree and make tea. Any pine will do? White pine? Red pine? Do I have to dry them? Cut them up? Smoosh them? And I hear in an emergency you can eat the bark, but that sounds pretty awful.

Does the same apply to other trees like gingko or red maple?

"I Collect Smiles!" DebBee 🐝

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

Yup. Many trees are amazing medicinals. As herbalists, we have a tendency to look down at all the medicinal plants but we need to remember to look up because most tress are quite good too.

I’m writing a book about medicinal trees right now. There are also a number of trees in the Individual Plants lessons. There is a video there on pine.

Red and White pine have had most of the research but folks have used most species over the years. Don’t use them during pregnancy or lactation.

Also, be aware that any needles or branches you remove from a tree will never grow back. So pick them off a spot that won’t be ugly later. I usually just remove a branch and then pick the needles off of it. That’s better than having a permanently bald tree.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Total of 20 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 10 listed.
            Lynda Steinke
            Student

When are you expecting the tree book to be available? When I order your other 2 books would be nice to add this one to the order. To make the best of shipping to Canada as it is far more than the price of one book!

Lacey Cook
              Student

so I have ponderosa pine where I live, is this a safe pine to use?

Teri Anderson
                  Student

Ponderosa and yew are toxic.  Don’t use!

Lacey Cook
                      Student

why is the ponderosa pine toxic? almost all the pine trees in this part of the state are ponderosa

1 user thanked author for this post.
                          Sandra Powell
                          Student

The only references on Ponderosa pine being toxic that I can find are about a diterpene called isocupressic acid found in Ponderosa and some other conifers. It is toxic to some livestock and can cause cattle to abort their calves. I found nothing about humans. I have often chewed on the needles while hiking and never had any ill effects (that I know of!) I’ll keep looking.

3 users thanked author for this post.
                              Lacey Cook
                              Student

That is what I was thinking too. I couldn’t find anything about humans use

Lacey Cook
                        Student

So I am confused on why the Ponderosa pine is toxic? Almost all the pine trees where I live are Ponderosa. If I can’t use this that is so sad! I was excited to try this

Rebecca Mayes
                          Student

I am amazed at all the plants around me that have so much nutritive and medicinal values.  I had always considered myself to more knowledgeable than average, but I am realizing there is so much to learn.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                              Homestead Instructor

I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.

Isaac Newton

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Brenda Traill
                            Student

Really looking forward to your medicinal tree book!

Sharon
                              Student

Doc, I know that pines and spruces are very beneficial, and likely BEST in the spring – but for a tincture, are they any good now since now is when the cold and flu season is most likely to happen.  Obviously I’ll wait if now is just a really bad time to make any…  Also, are there any noticeable differences in the pines and spruces?  Also anxious for your tree book!

5 users thanked author for this post.
                                  Dr. Patrick Jones
                                  Homestead Instructor

Spring is great but if I needed pine January, I’d be out picking it. Most of the research has been done on pine but Native Americans used spruce too.

Yup. Many trees are amazing medicinals. As herbalists, we have a tendency to look down at all the medicinal plants but we need to remember to look up because most tress are quite good too.

I’m writing a book about medicinal trees right now. There are also a number of trees in the Individual Plants lessons. There is a video there on pine.

Red and White pine have had most of the research but folks have used most species over the years. Don’t use them during pregnancy or lactation.

Also, be aware that any needles or branches you remove from a tree will never grow back. So pick them off a spot that won’t be ugly later. I usually just remove a branch and then pick the needles off of it. That’s better than having a permanently bald tree.

Ponderosa pine… I *think* that’s what we have in my area. My Mama has one over 2 stories high that was once our Christmas tree. Will that one work be ause I saw something about ponderosa being high in some toxin?

Mark Carrel
                                  Student

Great, looking forward to the medicinal tree book.  I did not realize the the needles would not grow back after being picked.  I have a ‘big’ pine tree in my yard that looks tastier by the moment.  A limb (or several) off of it would not be noticeable.  I’ll try that.

Dianne Taylor
                                      Student

I loved this, “we have a tendency to look down at all the medicinal plants but we need to remember to look up because most tress are quite good too.” I think one of the biggest takeaways I’ve learned from my studies is that ALL parts of a plant can be useful.  Who knew????  Ok, you did.  Thanks for teaching us!!! 😀

Sharon
                                      Student

I know that pines and spruces are very beneficial, and likely BEST in the spring – but for a tincture, are they any good now since now is when the cold and flu season is most likely to happen.  Obviously I’ll wait if now is just a really bad time to make any…  Also, are there any noticeable differences in the pines and spruces?  Also anxious for your tree book!

Hannah Bison
                                        Student

How closely related are pine and fir? My property is loaded with doug fir, there’s not many pine trees in my area.

I am looking forward to your medicinal tree book as well.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                            Homestead Instructor

Douglas fir was used historically for respiratory things and for arthritis. I haven’t used it and their isn’t much research.

Gwen Wilson
                                            Student

Looking forward to your new tree book as well.  The more I learn, the more I want to learn. Thanks

Sharon
                                              Student

What about Pinyon Pines (slowest growing pine in the world I think!).  I’ve been told it has the most “mellow” taste of all the conifers and you remember how my stupid taste buds are!

Laura Scott
                                                Student

Is it OK to post a recipe for Pine Needle Tea?  I have one!

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                                    Homestead Instructor

Absolutely. :0)

Sharon
                                                    Student

Are Pinyon Pines as good as the other pines (or spruce) and is there a noticeable taste difference?

Laura Scott
                                                      Student

Pine Needle Tea  (I would like to credit this recipe but honestly cannot remember where I found it)

3 TBS chopped fresh pine needles (new growth preferred; I used White Pine); 2 tsp cardamom pods crushed; 1.5 tsp grated ginger; 2 cinnamon sticks – or 1, I prefer 1 – 2 star Anise pods; 1 tsp whole allspice; 6 cups water; honey/cream

Add everything to H2O in a pan and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer at least 20 minutes. Strain. Add honey and/or cream to taste.

Kind of like a ‘piney’ chai!

Total of 13 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 10 listed.
                                                          Lacey Cook
                                                          Student

excited to try this!!

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                                            Homestead Instructor

looks tasty. :0)

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                                            Homestead Instructor

Pinyon and all of its other pine cousins in the Pinus genus (as well as spruce and fir) have been used historically for respiratory applications and other effects. I’ve only ever tasted red pine and white pine. Both of those incidentally, are the ones with most of the research.

Sandra Powell
                                                              Student

Pinyon needles don’t have a strong taste and make a nice tea. I like to add Brigham Tea also, especially when the juniper are pollenating (yellow dust on EVERYTHING).  And the pinyon nuts are incredible in oatmeal, cookies, bread, and stuffing!

KingdomKeeper
                                                                Student

Getting ready to do a basic plant class for a group of kids in our co-op.  We are going to start with pine so I really appreciate this thread.  Though we don’t have a whole lot of pine in our area here in Washington state.  We have lots and lots of fir trees, but even more cedar.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                                                    Homestead Instructor

Cedar is medicinal but not related to pine (it’s Juniper’s cousin) so has very different properties.

Cindy Roberts
                                                                    Student

When are you expecting the tree book to be available? When I order your other 2 books would be nice to add this one to the order. To make the best of shipping to Canada as it is far more than the price of one book!

I have really found that rubbing pine needle tincture on my knees is helping the arthritis in my knees as is taking Dr. Jone’s Chaga tincture!

3 users thanked author for this post.
                                                                      Sharon
                                                                      Student

So is it ONLY the needles, or the piece of a branch and/or the little baby pinecone at the end of the branch.  Just harvested some today, and really anxious to get going, but don’t know what to include/exclude.  And I think I remember Doc saying that vodka will work fine.  Thanks in advance!

Sharon
                                                                        Student

Hubby and I think that the little things that look like a baby pinecone on the end of the tip are actually FUTURE needles – so in theory, they should be good medicine, right!?

• #25690
                                                                          Michelle Koch
                                                                          Student

The things that look like “baby pine cones” are literally called “pine tips” and are wonderful.  Use them like you would regular pine needles, or you can make syrup with them.  You can also make a wonderful fermented syrup out of green pine cones!  (Look up “mugolio”) Traditionally made with cones from the mugo pine, the same method can be used with cones from any pine, and has many medicinal and culinary qualities.  I have ambitious plans to make a batch as soon as I possibly can!

• #25832
                                                                              JC Stevenson
                                                                              Student

..

• #25836
                                                                                Dr. Patrick Jones
                                                                                Homestead Instructor

Yup, that’s right. If they’re pine tips. They’ll be needles someday. If they’re pollen cones (the boy parts) they’re also medicinal …but completely different uses) and if they’re pine cones (girl parts) they’re not what you want.

• #39538
                                                                                    Sharon
                                                                                    Student

Doc, you mentioned the pollen cones have different medicinal properties, but would you mind elaborating on what the difference medicinally between the needles and the pollen cones?  I was planning on using them together both for tea as well as tincture, but if they have different properties, should I just use them separately?  Thanks in advance.

• #39555
                                                                                        Dr. Patrick Jones
                                                                                        Homestead Instructor

Here ya go:

Pine (Pinus spp.)

• #39589
                                                                                            Sharon
                                                                                            Student

So another couple of questions on pine parts.

1. Since we are senior citizens now and the “benefits” from the pollen cone that you mentioned in the video is not of importance here – would we be better off to just tincture the pollen cones with the needles and use it more or less as a nutritional tonic daily for general health?  For both of us, our blood sugar levels are well in the normal range, so that seems like a good thing here.
                                                                                              2. But since it has androgenic properties, is it ok for us ladies to use internally on a regular basis?
                                                                                              3. Also, since the resin is mentioned as being medicinal, but also used to make turpentine – would it be beneficial (since I already have some) to use pure gum turpentine made by locals in GA with trees on their property as part of the tincturing process?
                                                                                              4. Is a pine tincture the most “bang for the buck” medicinally over other things like tea, powdered needles, fresh needles in a smoothie, etc?
                                                                                              5. This one might be kind of a lame question, but is there a “better way” to harvest the needles from the tree so it DOESN’T end up with ugly places later?  There must be a good technique for it…

Thanks in advance for your time and answers!

• #39613
                                                                                                Dr. Patrick Jones
                                                                                                Homestead Instructor

Mine in Bold

1. Since we are senior citizens now and the “benefits” from the pollen cone that you mentioned in the video is not of importance here – would we be better off to just tincture the pollen cones with the needles and use it more or less as a nutritional tonic daily for general health?  For both of us, our blood sugar levels are well in the normal range, so that seems like a good thing here.

I’d just use the pollen as a daily tonic and save the needles as needed for illness.

1. But since it has androgenic properties, is it ok for us ladies to use internally on a regular basis?

The dose for nutritional tonic is markedly less than the dose for androgenic effects.

1. Also, since the resin is mentioned as being medicinal, but also used to make turpentine – would it be beneficial (since I already have some) to use pure gum turpentine made by locals in GA with trees on their property as part of the tincturing process?

I wouldn’t.

1. Is a pine tincture the most “bang for the buck” medicinally over other things like tea, powdered needles, fresh needles in a smoothie, etc?

Doesn’t matter how you get it into your body. 

1. This one might be kind of a lame question, but is there a “better way” to harvest the needles from the tree so it DOESN’T end up with ugly places later?  There must be a good technique for it…

Lop off branches you don’t like and take the needles. That’s how I do it.

Pine Lesson

• #39638
                                                                                                    Sharon
                                                                                                    Student

Thanks so much for a speedy reply!  We were out harvesting our state tree (blue spruce) today, and got lots of the pollen cones on the tips, so I’ll tincture them separately.  I assume that both of the tinctures should be in 60% alcohol since the parts are all fresh (though I’ve heard of others using 40% – but for a much longer time in the alcohol).  So is there a lot of the vitamin and mineral content in the pollen cone tincture compared to the needle tincture?  I love the idea of enhancing our vitamins thru the winter!  Curious though (not questioning your advice at all), when I see mention of spruce tips, most of the time it’s mentioned as a tonic – perhaps you could educate me on where these folks are going wrong with using it as a tonic?  And Never, Ever, be offended when I question something please – I am by nature a VERY, very inquisitive person – with no end in sight even at my advanced age!  I know that much information on the internet is just flat out wrong, so that’s why I try to filter everything I read or hear on the web with your actual, factual presentation of the herbs.  I love your real life experiences and  your teaching style for all the wonderful herbs and plants we have been given for our benefit.  Thank you for such a wonderful course and for making yourself available to answer the questions from your students – something many “teachers” won’t do!  I know I likely don’t have enough years left to learn as much as I want to, but your course is making a sizable contribution to my knowledge bank – thanks again!

• #25786
                                                                                          Dee.MW
                                                                                          Student

We love the pine/spruce tips.  I’ve used spruce tips to make ice cream.  It tasted incredibly similar to mint chocolate chip, but I got to call it Tips and Chips ; )

Also great for tea or flavor syrup.

• #25838
                                                                                            Dr. Patrick Jones
                                                                                            Homestead Instructor

Ponderosa pine needles are very similar to other pine needles. Its bad reputation as a toxic, dangerous plant comes from case studies of cattle eating it and aborting.

News Flash: Any pine needle will cause miscarriage and none of them should be used during pregnancy.

So, it’s really not fair that Pinus ponderosa is the only pine species people are wrinkling their noses at. This is a classic example of internet “cut and paste” herbalism where someone reads something and repeats it and it becomes dogma and doctrine in the trade even though it’s completely out of context.

• #26073
                                                                                                Lacey Cook
                                                                                                Student

thanks Doc !!! I thought it sounded so off to say that Ponderosa was off limits!!

• #26158
                                                                                                Rae Cousineau
                                                                                                Student

Glad to hear that about ponderosa pine. It is by far the most prolific in my area!

• #26862
                                                                                                  Dr. Patrick Jones
                                                                                                  Homestead Instructor

Yew (Taxus spp.) is not a pine or related to pine. It’s deadly poison.

• #26958
                                                                                                    DebBee
                                                                                                    Student
                                                                                                    Topic Author

Why do pine trees have such a hard time sewing?

Because they always drop their needles.

"I Collect Smiles!" DebBee 🐝

• #28236
                                                                                                      heavenlyherbs
                                                                                                      Student

I recently read that women who are expecting should not use Ponderosa pine or lodgepole pine because they could cause a miscarriage. Although I do not know why. The good species of pine to use are supposed to be white fir, noble fir and balsam fir. I made a tea this last Christmas from our noble fir that was freshly cut. I liked it, first time making pine needle tea.

• #39652
                                                                                                          Sharon
                                                                                                          Student

Doc stated back on Feb 9th:

News Flash: Any pine needle will cause miscarriage and none of them should be used during pregnancy.

Viewing 25 reply threads
                                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                      Scroll to Top