Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Case Studies Pneumonia in 5 month old infant

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 months ago by .
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      lemontwigs
      Student

My daughter lives in Ethiopia and can’t get here until November.  Her baby is 5 months old and had a high fever.  She was diagnosed with pneumonia and was given an antibiotic injection.  She doesn’t know what antibiotic.  She has been sick for 2 weeks.  Her cough is getting worse.  She told me it is a dry cough.  Because she is in a 3rd world country, and this is more of an emergency, I don’t know if herbs are an option?  I don’t want to let her just watch my grandbaby die.  I know herbs aren’t for babies.  Does anyone know of anything that can maybe help her?

Thank you

Megan Bumps
        Student

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. I don’t really know much about herb interaction with antibiotics, but here are some things I have tried for coughs and colds.

Raw garlic blended well with oil to make a rub can be applied all over the baby topically. The garlic acts as an antibiotic and enters the bloodstream through baby’s skin.

I have used an onion poultice on my little ones. I chop/smash raw onions and apply it to the chest. You can use some cheese cloth or gauze to help keep the onion in place. Make a little pouch with the fabric and stuff the onions inside and then put it on the chest. Secure it with tape or more fabric or string.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Joelle
          Student

It seems that it would be really good to have Doc advise on this ASAP. He does respond to forum from time to time, but considering the time sensitivity, I’d email him. I think he said his email was doc@homegrownherbalist.net

He said his email in one of the videos. I thought, “Oh, that’s easy to remember,” and that’s what I believe the email was, but I haven’t found which video that was to verify that address.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Dr. Patrick Jones. Reason: corrected email address
            Dr. Patrick Jones
            Homestead Instructor

Does she have any herbs available? Let me know what the medication is.

Elena is right as well, if anyone has something time-sensitive, email me. The forum doesn’t get looked at every day sadly.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Scroll to Top