Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Questions on using a poultice

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Joelle
      Student

So, I’ve recently learned how to use a poultice. I know often times it is better to just use a tincture or tea topically. But if you do use a poultice, does it only work while it is wet? For instance, if you apply a poultice but put a breathable wrap over it and the poultice dries out, has it only been effective while it was wet?

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Gammi67
        Student

I used a poultice several times this summer. I found that it does best if it stays damp, but since I used it for 12 hours overnight I’m not sure how long it remained damp. After the first night (when it dried out) I used a small piece of a plastic bag over the poultice and it stayed wet.

Gammi67
          Student

I used a poultice several times this summer. I found that it does best if it stays damp, but since I used it for 12 hours overnight I’m not sure how long it remained damp. After the first night (when it dried out) I used a small piece of a plastic bag over the poultice and it stayed wet.

Since the skin is a permeable organ, a poultice seems most effective when the chemical constituents are wet (think tea). The chemicals must be able to move from point A (the poultice) into point B (the skin).

Wanda
            Student

How long can you keep a poultice formula (used the same ingredients as docs poultice formula for wounds) once they are mixed with water, before tossing it out? I mixed up a bit more than was needed, and so refrigerated the remainder with the date it was mixed. How long can I keep it in the frig before it goes bye-bye? Assume maybe a couple of days at least?

Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

Wet is good. When I used to poultice a lot (in days of yor), I’d leave them no more than 12 hours. More frequent changes would be even better.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

I have found a wet poultice is more soothing. I experienced this first hand this summer when I cut the tip of my pinky off. I used only herbal first aid and kept a wet herbal poultice covering the wound and wrapped. I changed in out daily and applied new poultice. Within two weeks the finger tip grew back and the finger nail grew back out too!

Viewing 5 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Scroll to Top