Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herb Cultivation, Gardening, and Wildcrafting Seeds: Overwintering cold stratification outdoors in ground

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Leah Price
      Student

Hello all, this is my first ever topic as I am a new student here. Yay! and please forgive me if I do this wrong.

I started my very first seeds that needed cold stratification this past fall. I planted Cramp Bark ( Viburnum opulus) and Oregon Grape (Mahonia repens) seeds. I researched all I could find on various ways and methods and chose to be like nature and just put some straight in ground and then I put some in seedling pots in a semi protective area. Where they could be in a natural place but have critter safeguards from like birds, squirrels and such. In my experience so far I’ve been a bit worried thinking about these tiny seeds out there in my yard.

Has anyone else experienced this worry? Do you like planting outside for cold strats or like to use refrigeration?

Thanks 🙂

Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

I’ve done both and had good luck. Most herbs are pretty happy to grow in my experience. I’m sure someone that has worked with more challenging critters than I might have better insight.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Scroll to Top