Tagged: 

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by .
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Greg Boggs
      Student

I know Doc has mentioned a lot that putting some powdered herbs in a smoothie helps make it unnoticeable, and I must say, it does work! I make myself a smoothie every morning for breakfast and I’ve been adding in some different herbs to try it out and I can’t tell they are there at all.

But what if your “patient” (likely husband, as we can be very picky) doesn’t like smoothies? Well I would ask what kind of smoothie are you making? Personally, I am not a fan of green smoothies at all, I don’t want it to taste like I’m drinking my garden, but give me a fruit smoothie and I am all for it. So I thought I’d share what I do for my morning smoothies to see if it might give an idea or two to someone out there with a picky eater.

My wife and I make our own yogurt (hooray for the Instantpot making it so easy) and so I use about 1 cup of yogurt, one half of a banana, two scoops of collagen powder (doesn’t affect taste at all), and whatever frozen fruit we have on hand at the time. Most recently there was a great sale on mangos at our local market and that makes a great smoothie, also, we tend to buy large bags of mixed berries (strawberry, raspberry, blueberry) and keep those in the fridge and that also is really tasty. When it’s time to pick blueberries, we get bags full and store them in the freezer, this makes a great brain smoothie! I’ve also done cherries with some chocolate syrup. In short, I guess I really like fruit and berries…haha. I also drink my morning coffee alongside my smoothie and it gives a nice contrast in my opinion.

I guess if I was trying to get someone to start drinking a smoothie, instead of starting off trying to make the smoothie healthy, start with the idea of making it really tasty, and then how can you make it as healthier. Some of the herbs I’ve used can be pretty bitter, but their taste gets completely masked by the flavor of the fruit I’m using, so I really can’t even tell they are in there. Maybe this gives you an idea, and if you have a favorite smoothie recipe, go on and share it below!

3 users thanked author for this post.

Thanks for your share! I’ve just recently started making smoothies because my husband was trying to give up his ice cream habit and I was being supportive and trying to be more healthy myself. I thought to myself that this was perfect timing because I had in my mind about putting herbs in smoothies from learning from Doc. Although I haven’t tried too much yet, I was able to make berry smoothies and added beets in it and he never noticed the beets at all and I didn’t mention it to him. Trying to sneak in healthy veggies. And I did do a peach and ginger smoothie that was pretty good. I put some dried swiss chard flakes in mine and it was an after thought so I just mixed it in with a spoon after it had already been premade and in the freezer. I find making them ahead of time helps to have them ready to go in the freezer. It would have been better if I added it in at the beginning but it was fine for me. My husband wasn’t feeling like himself since yesterday so he had a couple cups of tea last night and this morning. I may make a smoothie for him instead tonight to mix it up a little. I know I can get kind of tired of the tea when nursing a cold and I just bought some frozen bags of fruit over the weekend. Looking forward to other smoothie ideas from others!

P.S. Peanut butter powder is good in a smoothie as well.  PB and Banana smoothie! 😛

Olivia Timmerman

Thank you! I love smoothies (Greens and Fruits). Very exited to add more nutrition to an already amazing treat!

Sharon
        Student

Fruit smoothies are absolutely THE best, however, since I struggle with veggies and greens/herbs in general, I feel the NEED to consume as much “other than fruit” that I can get and still be able to drink them.  The fruit ones sound like Doc would have a fit over – as in “too much sugar = candida” or have I missed something major?  But I do like the idea of making them GOOD, then starting to add in other things (until it’s not so good, then either swap ingredients or delete the offending ones).

Sharon
            Student

Any thoughts on the above from Feb 7th?

Viewing 3 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Scroll to Top