Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Spinal Cord Injury

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by .
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hello all, I’m very new to all of this so any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Due to a snowboarding accident, my husband’s discs 5 and 6 are compressed and pushing into his spinal cord causing pain in his hands.  He is going to start physical therapy next week and wants to try herbs to help the healing process and settle the nerves that are being pinched.

I assume a Nervine relaxant and Anti-Inflamitory would be good?  Anything else?

Dr. Patrick Jones
      Homestead Instructor

Hi Jannie

Anti-inflammatories, nervines and antispasmodics can all be helpful in topical applications as well as internally.

Have a look at the sections on back pain, joint pain and nerve pain.

Pain Management III: Specific Interventions

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Kim
        Student

My husband was diagnosed with Central Cord Syndrome about 20 years ago. He currently is prescribed gabapentin and baclofen; we are looking to herbal remedies to replace those medications. I was very inspired by Dr. Jones presentation on teasel. Any thoughts on how to begin the transition? I know he can’t just stop taking the Rx. I have teasel and hops setting here on the shelf just waiting to try to help him out.

Viewing 2 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Scroll to Top