Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Stronger Tincture? LOADED QUESTIONS for Doc

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I made some Skullcap tea the other night.
      I put in 4 Tablespoons of the loose herbs and let ot sit covered for 10 min. I was relaxed, but fine. My 74yo Mama was out cold lol. (Slept like a rock all night). Point is I weigh 2x what Mama weighs and my husband is over 300lbs. I am having a hard time believing 1-2 tsp of tincture 3 or 4 times a day will do much for either of us after seeing the different effect it had on Mama and I. So I’ve been searching for ways to make a stronger tincture and have run across a whole ton of info so Doc, if you could please share your thoughts on each if these I’d sure appreciate it. I realize loosing weight is the best answer here, but at the moment here are the things I’m thinking about to increase potency.

1. vacuum seal the tincture

2. Put it on a roller (rock tumbler)

3. Add more powder to an already pressed tincture to up the potency?

4. Add heat (how high can I go before damaging the properties?) I’m thinking either Sous vide or heat lamp (maybe even heat lamp over a closed box with tumbler inside lol)

You said for someone who really can’t have alcohol you can put the vodka tincture in oil (equal amount) in a double broiler and cook until reduced by half to remove the alcohol. What effect does the heating have on the medical properties or does it not get hot enough to do any damage?

Bonus questions
      Obviously an alcohol tincture is the most potent, but in regards to a glyceride or oil infusion which of those two are more potent or are they the same?

Can I put the powders in a diy coffee filter tea bag to make straining easier or do you think it will affect the potency, or just make more work for myself?

I realize that is a LOT of questions, so thank you very much in advance.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      JENNIFER COATS
      Student
      Topic Author

Sorry for all the typos

JENNIFER COATS
        Student
        Topic Author

Bump

JENNIFER COATS
          Student
          Topic Author

Bumping again so it doesn’t get lost

It is probably best to e- mail him.

JENNIFER COATS
              Student
              Topic Author

Smh lol. I never thought of that. Thanks

Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

You could do a 1:3 tincture instead of a 1:5. and your doses would be about twice as strong. But for some herbs you’ll have too much absorption to get away with that. I suppose one could make a new tincture with a pre-made tincture but I have no idea how saturated the alcohol would already be with herb and how much more it’d extract from the new material. I’ve never seen any data on that.

It’s probably easier just to increase the dose of 1;5 tincture a bit if more is needed.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

JENNIFER COATS
                  Student
                  Topic Author

I’m learning that there is a LOT of info out there, and many people teaching herbalism. I saw a guy who (along with his wife) teach a school so to speak….he talked about doing “multi fractional” extractions. I “think” he is extracting the same herb with different solvents, but of course doesn’t go into detail. Doc, I don’t think I could ever consume any kind of herbal medicine not  taught to me by you. Do you have any thoughts on multi fractional extractions? Like…how to do them? The benefits etc?

Dr. Patrick Jones
                      Homestead Instructor

I’ve never looked into it. I never really see the point of that sort of thing. Vodka or Everclear are amazing solvents. I have a hard time believing that multiple repetitions of tincturing would extract much more than the original pass. I don’t see any reason to overcomplicate something as simple as making a tincture.

If one of those fellows wants to publish some actual data from a mass spectrophotometer or some such showing that their tincture is 1.5 times stronger because they did it twice with the same booze, I’ll be happy to believe there’s a difference. But even then I won’t likely change my procedures because then I’d have to keep track of what concentration each batch was and adjust dosing accordingly.

I’d rather produce a product that is in keeping with traditional methods so that folks can be safe using traditional dosing rather than having to figure out how each batch is different, keep track of additional data and re-educate my customers for each product’s dosing variance.  My life is complicated enough. 1:5 once works for me. :0)

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

3 users thanked author for this post.
                          Sharon
                          Student

Doc, I know this is a year old thread, but what about some of the thirsty herbs that just don’t want to get anywhere near 1:5?  Some are 1:10 or worse…  I even had one that (wasn’t powdered unfortunately) and ended up being over 1:20!  I thought that some new herb, same liquid would bring it down to around 1:10 – not ideal obviously, but better than 1:20.  Thoughts?

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Scroll to Top