Tagged: 

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author

I have a major addiction to sugar. I try to eat healthy, and some days I do alright, but I go on these spurts where I have to have it ALL THE TIME. Once I even ate so much at one time I made myself throw up. I can eat healthy, with very little sugar, for a while and it’s easy. But after so long of very little sugar it’s like my body wants to make up for it and I go into sugar craving overdrive. I am constantly stressed and I struggle with anxiety and depression. I know that it gets worse the more stress/anxiety/depression I am feeling, but that is not the root of it. I know that eating sugar during those times can in fact make those feelings worse. What is the best way to knock this out? Are there any herbs that specifically help with sugar cravings?

Total of 15 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 10 listed.
      Angela Houk
      Student

Hi Brieann,

Sorry to hear about your sugar cravings and though I’m not an expert nutritionist, I can testify that Chromium Picolinate supplements help me quiet the cravings.  You can get it at most health food and vitamin stores and the label states it supports healthy glucose metabolism.  Research it for yourself and I wish you well!

Hello Bianna, I’m so sorry to hear about your cravings. They can sure feel like they have control over you. One thing good, that you’ve probably already learned in this course is that sugar cravings are a symptom and not the problem.  I would follow Doc Jones and look into Candida. Candida love to feed on sugar and if you are withholding it from them, they will let you know!! Some other tips would be to first eat some fruit when you get those sugar cravings and see if that satisfies the craving. Adding more leafy greens to a diet can help and for some people, a supplement of Inositol helps.  Good luck. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Heather Clark
            Student

thanks for this advice for her. want to do keto and that is low sugar and carb. so i am going to give this a try too.

eallred
            Student

Hi Brieann!

One thing that motivates me when it comes to dietary adjustments is actually learning about the harmful things that come from things like sugar, alcohol, certain oils, etc. Refined sugars are toxic to our bodies and putting mind over matter when it comes to that stuff has been really helpful for me. You got this!

4 users thanked author for this post.

Hi Brieann,

I am diabetic so I do understand the frustration. I am just starting my journey into the healing power of herbs unfortunately that makes me no help. I do wish you well.

4 users thanked author for this post.
            Dr. Patrick Jones
            Homestead Instructor

Sometimes strong sugar cravings can indicate Candida overgrowth. Have a look at the Herbal Cleanses lesson. It talks about Candida, how to see if you have it and how to fix it if you do.

Have a look at the Nervous System lesson and the Grey Matter & Green Matter webinar in the Master’s Classes section. Those both have some good info on herbs that can help with stress, depression etc…

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Total of 18 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 10 listed.
              Teresa Fields
              Student

I know what it’s like to crave sugar. I don’t have as much of a problem with it as I used to. I’ve been taking magnesium supplements for quite a while now, and I’m wondering if that may have helped quell the cravings some. Might be worth a try.

Michelle Head
                Student

I am so glad you asked this question. This is a problem for me as well. I do hope you are able to resolve your cravings with the advice given here.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  Cathy Honrath
                  Student

I am a chronic dieter and have dealt too many times with this issue. I find that the only way I was able to stop those cravings was to cut out sugar and other highly processed carbs completely. It is so difficult and I wish you much luck in this. I am trying to do this again myself (chronic dieter :/). I am going to look at Doc’s suggestions for the Herbal Cleanses lesson. I am certain that there is Candida involvement. The flap of skin on my stomach, that lovely pouch from having babies, has developed a bit of infection that I’m treating with a calendula salve with some tea tree oil. I am about to collect some goldenrod; I think some tea is in order, too.

3 users thanked author for this post.

This is something I need to pray about. Not just for myself but for my children as well. I truly appreciate you sharing the wisdom of your midwife and your wisdom from the journey.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Several years ago, my midwife counseled me to cut out all sugars, even limiting fruit, as part of trying to get pinworms under control while pregnant. I was surprised by my reaction of despair.  She looked at me and asked, “Where else in your life can you get sweetness instead of sugar?”
                    I was floored, and had to admit that I was not creating sweetness in my life overall—-that began  my journey to uncover the underlying emotional causes for physical symptoms, and to learn to love my whole soul, body and mind/heart with whichever gifts appeared on my path,  may they be truly nourishing foods/herbs, learning Nonviolent Communication, practicing Wim Hof’s breathing, Dr Joe Dispenza’s meditations, or simply listening to what the Spirit whispers.
                    It’s been years since I did a Candida cleanse, and I’m happy to say that my life has other sources of sweetness!

Total of 16 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 10 listed.

Thank you for making this post. I struggle with this as well. I often get off a binge and think I’m finally getting better only to find myself binging again.

Good luck with your search, the suggestions in the other replies here seem like a great place to start.

CarolAnn
                    Student

I have had blood sugar problems most of my life and have had horrible spells of craving sugar over the years. It is also hard when other family members eat sugary things you love…. and they are just there calling out to you!

I had covid in early June and begrudgingly took the antibiotic they prescribed. Even though I was taking probiotics during the treatment, the cravings came back really bad and I fell off the wagon. Doc saying it’s candida makes a lot of sense!

So I increased the pre and probiotics and now drink something bitter when I crave sugar (usually in late afternoon) which seems to  help.

I would love to know what bitter things you drink!

Sugar addiction is a tuffy for sure.  I am grateful to have been freed from several different addictions but sugar was/is by far the tuffest.

Hope you find success. 🙂

Sometimes strong sugar cravings can indicate Candida overgrowth. Have a look at the Herbal Cleanses lesson. It talks about Candida, how to see if you have it and how to fix it if you do.

Have a look at the Nervous System lesson and the Grey Matter & Green Matter webinar in the Master’s Classes section. Those both have some good info on herbs that can help with stress, depression etc…

Doc Jones took the words out of my mouth (fingers). Many of us have issues with gut dysbiosis and don’t know it. I’ve seen patients with recurrent oral candidiasis that I suspect had a reservoir in the gut. Of course you don’t have to share here, but I’d be curious if you’ve ever had any issues with yeast infections. That would definitely suggest that candida could be fueling your sugar cravings.

The most holistic way I have seen to address candida overgrowth in the gut is a diet that basically starves the candida. No bread, baked goods, alcoholic beverages, starchy veggies, high-sugar fruits, and any food with added sugar (dextrose, high fructose corn syrup, etc.). It’s called the Candida Diet and it’s pretty difficult since cheat days will crutch the candida along and nullify your progress. Not for the faint of heart. But if you think that might be going on, give it a go. Once you get past the “hump” of cravings it should get easier.

Emily Jantz
                        Student

I recently was on the candida diet and I can personally attest that it does take a lot of determination! I found that healthy fats helped the cravings. It sounds really strange, but I found a spoonful of coconut butter helped a lot. It has a tiny bit of sweetness from processing the shredded coconut. Also enjoyed avocado slices with sprinkle of salt.

We did GAPS diet and it somewhat follows the same diet. I think it would be good to cut out all yeast feeding foods when the body is struggling to have more support and less attack from overgrowth.

Debra Haines
                        Student

I have a terrible time with sugar it has been such a horrible additction I will try the fat and also look into the GAPS eating plan is there any herbs that I can take to help the cravings also I take synthoid for throid is there an herb or herbs to help with that as well

thanks so much !!

hdinehart
                          Student

Can I please share my own recent experience? 4 months ago I used to crave sugar way more than I do now. I recently joined a weight support group (let me know if you want more info). I felt like I needed to join a group that would not cut out certain foods, etc, because I don’t like feeling deprived. As I read through some material, at the beginning of my journey, it was suggested that I could have a 20 calorie treat 3x a day and not have to log it in my food journal. So, I combined that with the plan I am doing. Now, when I want a small “sugar fix,” per se, I eat a jelly bean or something like a starburst, etc, and I DON’T feel guilty about it. I have found that my desire for sugary things has decreased, and when I do eat them, it feels like they are just too much. So, I guess my suggestion is to not completely feel like you have to deprive yourself, but to allow a treat within reason. I am sure that Dr. Jones’ post about yeast overgrowth is definitely worth considering, too. 🙂
                            I feel that being aware of everything I am eating has made a huge difference in how I feel and my weight.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                              Homestead Instructor

Thanks for sharing that Heidi. Celebrating one jelly bean or starburst is just as satisfying as polishing off a whole bag if you do it right. :0)

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Michelle Koch
                              Student

This may not be very scientific, but… my son lives part time on a nuclear submarine in the US Navy.  Before going out to sea, he buys several pounds of candy to share with his boat mates.  When I expressed concern for his health, he explained that the candy represents “packaged happiness,” and helps to boost morale.  Living for several weeks/months at a time in an underwater sardine can can get pretty depressing!  That being said, you might want to more closely examine your mental health, and how it correlates with your sugar cravings, as well as mood boosting herbs and foods, and perhaps even seek out a licensed therapist.  Just my two cents, for whatever it’s worth.

Michele Sell
                                Student

I was only able to master my sugar addiction by fasting. I did a 10 day fast and by the end I had lost that craving… and my eyesight improved..

Ashley Knight
                                    Student

Wow! That’s impressive, Michele!

I have been addicted to sugar all of my life. It was embarrassing and I felt both disgusted, and disappointed with myself. I started intermittent fasting back in 2019, and eventually was able to tolerate extended fasts. I noticed that once I was able to comfortably fast for 20+ hours at a time, I no longer had sugar cravings. I practice intermittent fasting to some degree every day, with an occasional extended fast maybe 2-3 times a year. It’s nice to be able to walk by the dessert table at gatherings and not even care to taste any of it.

Glenda
                                    Student

I’ve fought sugar cravings for decades. A lecture by Rozalind Gruben (Social and Emotional Aspects of Eating available on YouTube) mentioned that physical and emotional healing needs to progress hand in hand. Sometimes we need to take a time-out and grieve our losses so we can heal emotionally. That said, a tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar in a glass of water helps cut my cravings in an emergency.

Wanda
                                      Student

Sugar has always been my nemesis.  One day….

Wanda sugar is also my nemesis also and right now it’s winning.

Wanda
                                            Student

Ditto Katherine. Sad face.

Christine
                                          Student

I also have a tendency to sugar addiction. Well thats putting it mildly lol. What helped me was eliminating high carb plants and all forms of sugar. I also skip breakfast and try to go 17 or so hours a day without eating while taking in lots of water, and herbal teas. It was really hard for the first few weeks but I stayed on the wagon and eventually lost the cravings. It really does have so much to do with getting a healthy gut. A huge plus was that the high liver enzyme count normalized which is proof that a lot of healing can happen.

Kim S
                                            Student

I sympathize Brieann! I call it the slippery slope. A friend will say – Just have a taste. But if I do, I’m on a sugar binge until I’m so miserable that I finally go off it cold turkey. My strategy is to think about how I will feel BEFORE I eat this cookie. The migraines, the body aches, the emotional over-reacting to the smallest irritation. That, together with my go-to substitution – a fruit-based smoothie with mint and lemon balm has kept me on track for a couple of years now.
                                              Keep up the good work. Wanting to make a change is half the battle. The other half is to find strategies that work for you. You will get there!

Kim S
                                              Student

Is there an herbal tincture or poultice that can draw up a splinter?

A small prickle of a pumpkin stem went into my finger. All I can see is the tail end of it and I can feel it just below the surface of the skin. But the usual sterilized needle approach is not working so far.

There’s slight swelling without pain or infection. But I sure want to get it out. Thanks for any suggestions!

Teresa Fields
                                                  Student

May try plantain poultice, or bentonite clay. Also can try making a poultice from a shredded potato. Any of these should help.

Deb Carson
                                                  Student

Hi Brieann!

One thing that motivates me when it comes to dietary adjustments is actually learning about the harmful things that come from things like sugar, alcohol, certain oils, etc. Refined sugars are toxic to our bodies and putting mind over matter when it comes to that stuff has been really helpful for me. You got this!

I’ve found that for me, a support person works great.  She has me write down everything I eat or drink and that helps me think about it before I actually eat or drink those sugary things.  Putting it on paper makes you think about it before you mindlessly pop it in your mouth.  I’ve actually lost a few pounds just because I am now more aware of what I am eating, especially when I’m tired.

Tricia Blank
                                                    Student

I have learned that when we are craving sugar we are actually low on protein. Protien is in nuts, whole grains(I would avoid wheat though), beans, vegetables, and meat. When speaking of protein most people look to meat first, but for some people the other sources are more beneficial. For me nuts and seeds are what I need most for protien. So when craving sugar try eating a protein food. Try different protein foods each time and see what works best or the fastest.

JenVollmer
                                                        Student

My mother also taught me to eat protein when I crave sugar.  Sometimes if my blood sugar levels get too low though, I eat a little sugar and follow up with the protein.

Another aspect of sugar cravings are to pay attention to what kinds of sweets you are craving. If it is chocolate, raisins, and nuts it might actually be a magnesium deficiency, then taking magnesium supplements might help calm that craving. If it is a craving for random any sugar,  sometimes a multivitamin will help.

Also check like Doc Jones said to see if candida could be an issue.

And sometimes it is just eating habits, or even non eating habits, when real healthy meals are not eaten and you find yourself snacking on any quick anything, because your body is screaming, feed me! Or if you have somehow gotten into a habit of eating a treat every time you feel strong emotions…

I wish you the best as you work on figuring out the root cause and helping switch the craving off by giving your body what it truly needs.

Jo Katsarelis
                                                          Student

I also have found that eating a little protein, drinking a cold peppermint/lemon balm tea and getting outside or doing something I enjoy will help get past the sugar monster!  🤪

Great advice! Plenty of protein makes a big difference for me.

I am new here. I just stated today. I also have a hard time with sugar.

Michelle
                                                          Student

I just recently received some Freeze Dried white peaches, and was amazed at how they actually satisfied my cravings for sweets.  FD seems to intensify the sweetness.  I am looking at other fruits as well to add to my stash..LOL.

Karri Knipp
                                                            Student

I found that tracking my cycle & paying close attention to when my sugar cravings hit made a huge difference in how I viewed my sugar addiction. I wasn’t sure if I truly had an addiction or if my hormones were playing games with me. It was my hormones, swings and shifts all thru my cycle. I control excess estrogen by supplementing with DIM, Calcium D-Glucarate, Chia Seeds, eating plenty of protein & weight training 3-4x per week. Side note: I did have bloodwork done before taking these supplements all willy-nilly 🙂  Bloodwork showed estrogen dominance. I still have cravings but just for a couple of days during PMS, I feel like that’s pretty “normal”…?

This is my first day here and I find it amazing that one of the first things I see in the forum is comments on sugar addiction! I signed up as a student here to help my family and pets health…and here I am over doing sugar! I will work on my addiction while learning how to heal the body with good food/herbs.

Hi! I’m new here.  Thank you for sharing your struggle.  I, too, am working on cutting sugar out in our family’s diet.

I don’t have any herbal advice, as I am currently less than novice in such things. However, I figured I’d share a little something that helps me for what it’s worth:

I have a box at work full of all the unhealthy and tasty things that I glean throughout the week. I’m not sure why this works for me, but for some reason the thought of being able to eat it later satiates me, and then I kinda just procrastinate from there. Then when the chocolate and other goodies have built up, or when I’m feeling especially peckish, I share it with my co-workers and I usually indulge a little in the process. Sure I end up eating some of it, albeit socially… most of the time ; ), but it’s much, much less than if I were to just devour every decadent morsel upon endless hapless encounters. Moreover, my co-workers love it as they look forward to the random day of distribution.

Brenda Scott
                                                              Student

Carb/sugar addiction is sure a real thing!  I started eating more Carnivore about a year ago…being sure I get plenty of healthy fats.  That has really made a difference in the wanting to wander around and graze…looking to eat anything with carbs or sugar!

Rene Groom
                                                                  Student

I have been considering trying this as well so I was thankful to see your post and to learn that you have had some success with the lifestyle change.

Hello Brieann, I too have a sugar addition and I know how difficult it can be to fight the cravings. When I abstain from sugar, honey, agave and other sweeteners I am fine, but the moment I “fall off the wagon”, the downward spiral begins. When I am out of control with sugar consumption, I’m munching all day and never full or satisfied after eating a full meal. It’s really difficult.

Heather Clark
                                                                  Student

great question.

Debra Sisk
                                                                    Student

I will be interested to hear how you overcome this issue.  I know that there are time that if I eat sugar, I just want more and more.  then I don’t’ feel good.   I really try to limit try sugar intake.  Sometimes when I want something sweet I eat a small piece of dark chocolate and that works.

Good luck

i find the more fresh out of the yard greens like dandelions help me not crave sugar.  also Brigham Tea is amazing for me and cravings

Viewing 34 reply threads
                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                  Scroll to Top