Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Thyroid problem (T3 / Reverse T3 issue)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon
      Student

I went to a naturopath for a bit over a year, and sadly he couldn’t seem to get my thyroid working properly.  This is his description of what’s going on (copied from his email to me)…

“Your thyroid levels showed good but your Reverse T3 was really high indicating a stress and adrenal problem that is affecting how your body makes T3.  When you are stressed and/or your adrenals are burned out your body will make more Reverse T3 and less T3 and this will slow down your metabolism.  So you do not have a low functioning thyroid which makes T4. The problem is how that T4 is is converted into T3 and Reverse  T3.”

I don’t have a clue how to go about treating this, but I can say that I’m really tired of my hair falling out, being tired, super dry skin, and having no tolerance at all to being hot!  I am pretty darned sure that God’s medicine can fix this where the doctor couldn’t figure it out (but then he wasn’t an herb guy either).

Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

I’ve used this formula for low thyroid cases. We’re writing a big endocrine system set of lessons right now.

It has more herbs in it than I usually put in a formula because I developed it many years ago. ABout a year ago I was looking at it and wondering if I ought to pare it down by a few plants. I mentioned it to a naturopath friend of mine in passing one day who said “Don’t you dare change that formula. I have all kinds of clients using it and it works beautifully.”  She’s a very sweet lady and a dear friend…but she looked like she might whack me with a stick or something if I changed her favorite formula so I left it alone. :0)

Thyroid Stim

Thyroid – Stim

1 Ashwagandha Root

1 Bupleurum Root

1 Chamomile Flower

1 Ginger Root

1 Lobelia Aerial Parts

1 Milk Thistle Seed

1 Mullein Leaf

1 Parsley Leaf

1 Sarsaparilla Root

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

5 users thanked author for this post.
            Sharon
            Student
            Topic Author

Thanks Doc.  Would this be a better remedy for me than the adrenal support formula?  By the way, in the class info, the adrenal support formula has no numbers with the ingredients, nor does it tell us if it should be root, leaves, or flowers (on the ones that could be more than one option).  I’m wondering which to use since my adrenals are shot as well as my weird thyroid issues (am I considered a low thyroid or what)?

I’m going to have some trouble making the adrenal support as some ingredients only come as tinctures and some as powders, and some are just out of stock.  Any idea when it will all be back in stock again?  I’m so tired of being tired and look forward to starting these formulas soon! Thanks again.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                Homestead Instructor

No reason not to do both Thyroid Stim and Adrenal Support.

Whenever I forget to put numbers on a formula, it’s because it’s equal parts. I’ll fix it on the lesson.

Adrenal Support

1 Ashwaghanda Root
                  1 Fo ti Root
                  1 Ginkgo leaf
                  1 Oat straw (milky tops)
                  1 Rehmannia root
                  1 Schisandra berry

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    Sharon
                    Student
                    Topic Author

Thanks Doc – perhaps the combo will have some “unintended” good effects like your story in the bugle vs the orchestra – which I totally get into!  Appreciate the update on the formula.

Is ok to use the adrenal support and liver support together in a dog who might have Cushings? It has been rather frustrating getting a diagnosis. From her most recent blood work kidney and liver disease are indicated, but another vet says possible Cushings.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                        Homestead Instructor

As long as he isn’t on medications for it.

Angela Norris
                    Student

You go Doc! there are way too many people that suffer from this problem. I have the same thing. I have been told my adrenals were depleted also. I used adrenal glandulars to mitigate that part of the problem.

Sara Naden
                      Student

Doc, Thanks for your formula I am newly diagnosed with Hypothyroidism but the PN I am seeing refused to look at my reverse T3 stating only Natural paths do that. She also found that I have very high blood calcium levels. I have been referred to endocrinology and I go into have an ultra sound of my thyroid 12/05. Is there anything I can do to calm my Parathyroid so it quits pulling calcium though if I have a growth on my Parathyroid that may be a mute point.

Ellie
                        Student

Hi Dr. Patrick Jones,

Is your thyroid stim formula a tincture?  I was just wondering because I would like to make this formula but I did not know if it was a tea or tincture.

Thanks, Ellie

Sharon
                            Student
                            Topic Author

Ellie, I know you asked Doc Jones, but the quick and easy answer is that the powdered formula can be used as is (mixed with water or juice or put in a smoothie), made into a tea, OR made into a tincture.  So any direction that floats your boat, you’re covered!

Paige
                          Student

Hi Sara,

I too have hypothyroidism that was only detected by a DO that did a serum iodine level on me.  That same DO is of the opinion that much of our dis”ease” is related to imbalances of vitamins, minerals and hormones in our bodies.  Here is an article as a place to begin your search.: (REDACTED By Auto-Moderator Robot)>

If I had to start somewhere with regards to the calcium, I would look at nutritive herbs, and of course Doc Jones’ presentation on herbal cleanses.  Hope this helps, and you find an answer.

PMR

Annett
                            Student

Sharon, I too have suffered with the exact same issues you mention. Years ago I found this book by Aviva Romm: Adrenal Thyroid Revolution. (It is a book Doc has mentioned he has found useful. ) She has outlined a whole protocol for these very issues including vitamins, herbs, food, how to live in order to heal, etc.  She explains the labs and how to read them along with the concerns about lab ranges. It’s quite an incredible book! I use it as my health bible:)  I refer to it often.  I hope it can be of help to you.

Also, my functional doctor recommended books by Isabella Wentz. She is a pharmacist who couldn’t find the help she needed for her issues (same as yours and mine mostly), and so she did her research etc. And then wrote a book about what to do to overcome thyroid issues. She has a whole protocol to heal as well. Wentz is mentioned by Aviva Romm as one she has consulted in writing her book, so I trust her writings.  I have learned what I need to from these books to heal. I’ve seen a huge change in several of my symptoms. I hope you can find some relief as well.

3 users thanked author for this post.
                                Sharon
                                Student
                                Topic Author

Thanks Annett – I downloaded the Romm thyroid book.  Hope it has some good info in it.  Using Doc’s formulas at this time, but may add Romm’s protocols to it also.

Gwen Wilson
                                    Student

Thanks Annette:  I have ordered the Romm Thyroid book and am looking forward to reading it.

Annett
                                  Student

Sharon, this site was very helpful to me. I hope it helps you too.

Comprehensive Review of Electrolyte Imbalance and Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome

Sorry you’re suffering. I feel for you. It’s a difficult path. 🙂

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                    Homestead Instructor

By the way, this a great resource for thyroid and adrenal issues.

Tina Anderson
                                      Student

Hi – you may already know this but healing your gut is huge! After I worked with a naturopath to heal my gut and adrenals, my body’s absorption of thyroid medications was much better and now my levels are improved and my skin/hair/energy levels are much better. I started by doing an elimination diet, cutting out all gluten, dairy, sugar, etc. and using probiotics, then over a period of a few months, working things back into my diet as my gut healed. It’s been amazing. Best of luck to you.

Sophia Nelson
                                        Student

Hello everyone, I am new here, but I am so hyped about all that I have been learning. I haven’t found anyone actually mention a thyroidectomy. I had mine removed about 25 years ago when they thought it was cancerous (it was not!). So now I am taking NP Thyroid but it’s hard to find an endo to prescribe it they want me on synthetic. Is there something else I can take all together and leave out the NP Thyroid?

Rene Groom
                                          Student

I had my thyroid removed several years ago and have had issues stabilizing my levels ( and weight) every since. Will the Thyroid Support formula help even if there is no thyroid?

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        Scroll to Top