• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by .
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Shannon Mertz
      Student

Could someone suggest a few herbs that I could make into a salve to repel ticks, please? The grandkids are coming this Summer and I want to take them through some trails and waterfalls, but the ticks are REALLY bad here.

I have read a little about Cloves.. anything else?

Thank you in advance.

Ellie
        Student

Hello Shannon,

I just got finished taking a school course on Lyme Disease.  I would recommend you try this carrier oil recipe:

2 ounces carrier oil- olive oil/ coconut

25 drops of a mix of these essential oils combined: cloves, oregano, eucalyptus, lemongrass and cedarwood

Mix this together and apply to the skin (NOT on sensitive areas like the eyes and ears!)

I also like to use Geranium essential oil mixed with water and then I spray this on myself.  This works great for girls because you can spray it on your head to repel the ticks from getting into your hair.  I do this before I pick berries in our woods.  Hope this helps!

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Shannon Mertz
            Student
            Topic Author

Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this safe for a 4 yr old? Or should I cut the essential oils in half?

Ellie
                Student

That’s a good question!  I would probably dilute the essential oils a little bit more but not too much.  Just be careful because children have sensitive skin.  The 4 year old may do better with the geranium essential oil mixed with water and then sprayed on.  This works really well and is great for kids who cannot handle that stronger essential oils.  I usually add a few drops to 1/2 cup water and then spray directly on myself.  It also keeps shelf stable for a while!

Shannon Mertz
                    Student
                    Topic Author

Thank you so very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elizabeth
                Student

Yes Geranium is a really good essential oil to have ! I had this in a tick repellent I made when I was in a heavily populated area for ticks in Michigan.

Oh, what peace we often forfeit, Oh, what needless pain we bear,
                  All because we do not carry, everything to God in prayer!

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Scroll to Top