Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making What’s your menstruum?

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by .
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve been looking at all the options.

I’d love to know your favorite menstruum and brand? Been trying to find reasonable yet quality options for tinctures in particular.

May His face shine upon you, Natashia

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Dr. Patrick Jones
      Homestead Instructor

I use vodka because it’s cheap. There’s no reason to buy anything expensive. It’s a chemical process not a social one. As long as it’s 80 to 100 proof, it’ll work great. I really have no use for the other menstrums (vinegar, glycerin etc…) They just don’t have enough preservative or extraction power to do the job well. If I’m not tincturing in alcohol, I figure I might as well just do a tea or throw the herb powder in a smoothie or some such.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          Natashia Atkinson
          Student
          Topic Author

Have you found a reasonable brand to use?

Teresa Cosper
            Student

Doc Jones – can you recommend any books that help determine the best menstrum to pull out the various constituents?

Second vote for Vodka, leaning more towards the 80 versus 100 proof due to the taste alone (personal preference).  I buy the biggest/cheapest bottles of 80-proof I can find/afford at the time and keep at least one or two 100-proof bottles in the cabinet for those herbs that just need it.

Natashia Atkinson
              Student
              Topic Author

Appreciate your input! 🙂

Lisa Bateman
              Student

Second vote for Vodka, leaning more towards the 80 versus 100 proof due to the taste alone (personal preference).  I buy the biggest/cheapest bottles of 80-proof I can find/afford at the time and keep at least one or two 100-proof bottles in the cabinet for those herbs that just need it.

Which herbs “need” 100 proof? I only found two brands of 100 proof at the largest liquor store around. If 80 proof is just as effective  for most, II will hold my 100 proof for those that need it and will buy some 80 proof for others.

Lisa Bateman

Dr. Patrick Jones
                Homestead Instructor

The difference between 80 and 100 proof aren’t significant to worry about. Get either one.

Any 80-100 proof beverage alcohol will owork just as well. The only reason we use vodka is because it’s always the cheapest stuff on the shelf.

Making Herbal Medicines Lesson 4: Tinctures, Glycerites & Vinegars

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Scroll to Top