Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Yellow / Curly Dock Seeds?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon
      Student

Hoping Doc Jones has a moment for this question.

Has anyone here ever used Yellow Dock (aka: Curly Dock) seeds for medicinal purposes?  I have found ONE person online (Susun Weed) who takes the seed and makes an ACV vinegar tonic out of it for iron help in the body, regularity for intestinal issues, etc – but the issue in my mind is that she is the ONLY one I can find on the internet doing this.  Actually not true, I found one other reference to it on somaluna.com: “I also harvest the leaves and/or seeds throughout the growing season and make a medicinal vinegar, taken a tablespoon at a time, which is used to increase blood-levels of iron, reduce menstrual flooding and cramping, and balance hormone levels. If the chopped roots are soaked in oil for six weeks, the resulting ointment is beneficial for keeping the breasts healthy.”

My issue is I just don’t feel like there’s enough info out there on it to really latch on to.  I figure if something was really a good product to make, surely it would be there on more than 2 places on the entire internet.  Believe me when I say I search and search hard!  So can anyone offer some thoughts on this?  I have wildcrafted some seeds that are very hard to find here, but the “jury is still out” for me on whether to make and use this tonic, or just throw the seeds in the yard for the rabbits to eat (not a good place for them to grow – way too dry here)!  Thanks in advance all 🙂

Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

I haven’t used the seed medicinally. I have heard the seeds can be ground up to make flour for bread but I’d guess it’s pretty bitter. The seeds are toxic to poultry so don’t feed them to your chickens.

Some seeds are very, very different than the rest of the plant medicinally and from a safety standpoint.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Sharon
            Student
            Topic Author

Thanks for your reply Doc.  So in your opinion, the two sources I cited are just incorrect and not to be believed?  If it were you and you had the seed in your hands, would you do anything with it or toss it out for the rabbits to eat?  I deeply value your input!

Dr. Patrick Jones
                Homestead Instructor

They may very well be correct. I just have no information, experience or research studies to corroborate it. I know yellow dock seed is safe for humans because they eat it. Whether it’s useful as a medicine is unknown to me.

If I had some seed, I’d feel perfectly safe experimenting with it (with humans not other species, it’s quite toxic to some) but I wouldn’t rely on it for anything until I had some information from those trial uses. If they were both on a table before me and I wanted something to do all the things yellow dock does well, I’d grab the root rather than the seed.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    Sharon
                    Student
                    Topic Author

I greatly appreciate your reply!  I would have pulled up the roots, but the ONLY place I can find this in our dry desert is in a field almost in the river, and it was a squishy field.  I read that the roots have no real medicine in them and are white instead of yellow if “standing in water” or along those lines.  If this is not correct, I can always go back and dig some up if I can get permission.  I was just “hoping” to hear that the seeds have the same medicine as the roots (I read that on the frequently incorrect internet).  Thanks again.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                        Homestead Instructor

If the roots are yellow inside, they’re fine. If they’re white, they won’t have much medicine.

1 user thanked author for this post.

I harvest Rumex crispus seeds when they turn brown.  Very easy to harvest.  Simply slide your hand along the stalk and gather a handful of seeds quickly.  The seeds and hulls of Curly (aka yellow) dock are not bitter at all.  The entire seed and hull can be ground into a flour.  It makes delicious pancakes either on its own or mixed with your favorite flour. (This is not a self-rising flour)   Try making some shagbark hickory bark syrup to top those pancakes.  YUM!!    Bitter dock (Rumex obtusifolius) can be used but the seed would need to be winnowed from the chaff to avoid the bitter flavor.  Much easier to do yellow dock.  A lot of us in the South use R. crispus.  🙂

3 users thanked author for this post.
              Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Scroll to Top