Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Annett
      Student

I’m wondering if anyone can point me in the direction to find which herbs are yin and which are yang.

If no one knows of source, do you know the yin or yang of the following herbs?

Brigham Tea, Ephedra spp

Licorice, Glycyrrhiza lepidota

Dandelion, Taraxacum oficinale

Calendula offincinalis

Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

annett wrote: I’m wondering if anyone can point me in the direction to find which herbs are yin and which are yang.

If no one knows of source, do you know the yin or yang of the following herbs?

Brigham Tea, Ephedra spp Yang

Licorice, Glycyrrhiza lepidota Yin

Dandelion, Taraxacum oficinale Yin

Calendula offincinalis Yang

Michael Tierra’s book The Way of Chinese Herbs talks about such things. It won’t have many western herbs in it though. Most herb books will mention if the herb is “warming (yang) or Cooling (yin). Michael Tierra’s The Way of Herbs has those designations.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Annett
          Student
          Topic Author

Thank you so much!

Annett
            Student
            Topic Author

The book by Michael Tierra is terrific. There is no mention of elder in it.

I found one place that says elder flowers are yang and berries are yin.

Can anyone clarify for me the yin and yang of elder?

Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

The berry is definitely yin in it’s behavior in my experience. I’d also agree that the leaves are more yang.

The flower is also pretty strong yin IMO.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Annett
                Student
                Topic Author

Thank you. This is very helpful. I’ve been trying to keep the yin and yang in mind as I think of what is best for myself and my family and have found this to definitely be therapeutic.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • The forum ‘Chinese Herbalism Acupuncture’ is closed to new topics and replies.
              Scroll to Top